Gearing up for summer travel? If you’re like me, you probably like having your workhorse beauty products on hand at all times. I try not to pack my entire bathroom for vacations because I like being as carefree and unfussy as possible.
I have learned to downsize my makeup and beauty bag by opting for travel size versions of my favorite products. It saves room in my luggage for extra clothes since they can go in my carry-on bag. For my trip to Hawaii last month, my entire beauty bag, from skincare to makeup and hair, consisted of travel-size products.
On my return trip to France last summer, I put my Biologique Recherche P50 lotion in my carry-on bag by accident. Even though it had less than 3.5 oz of liquid in the large bottle, the French authorities confiscated my precious product. Since then, I’ve been diligent about packing smart and opting for pint-size products in my luggage.
These skincare products are on daily rotation when I’m home in Brooklyn, so it makes sense for me to bring them along to keep my skin looking its very best.
– Bioderma Sensibio H20: I’ve gone through more bottles than I can count. I use it to gently remove my makeup.
– Sephora Cleansing & Exfoliating Wipes: I have these face wipes on hand to clean my face before double cleansing or when I am too tired to remove all my makeup and don’t want to risk staining the white hotel bedding.
– Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask: I finally tried the much-hyped about Jet Lag mask and I am now a huge fan. I use this mask on the plane to keep my skin hydrated. I also like using it as a sleep mask during my vacation to keep my skin supple and moisturized during the night time.
– Fresh Soy face cleanser: I love Fresh products and as much as I love their fruit mask, this soy face cleanser is my go to. It’s got lots of slip and makes me feel like 6
– Foreo Luna Mini 2: I’ve been using the regular Foreo Luna for two years now and love that it has silicone bristles that don’t need to be replaced and one charge lasts about six months. The mini version is compact and fits in the smallest makeup case.
– La Mer Creme de la Mer: This holy grail moisturizer was my skin saver all winter long. The 0.5 oz jar is $85 but lasts for a while. The formula is thick so I use it at night for supple skin while I sleep.
– Pixi Glow Tonic: I use Pixi Glow tonic in lieu of my Biologique Recherche P50 Lotion during the day. I normally interchange that with the Tula Pro-Gylcolic Peel Resurfacing Toner. Pixi Glow tonic formula has s 5% glycolic acid to exfoliate gently exfoliate the skin. The 0.5 oz bottle is perfect for two weeks of travel
– Dr. Brandt Needles No More No More Baggage: I usually bring this mini eye cream on trips for their de-puffing benefits, especially after a night out on the town having martinis.
– Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate Mini: I love using this year round but is such a skin saver in the summertime. This oil is not too heavy and makes my skin feel pillowy soft when I wake up.
– Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40: I never leave the house without SPF. This one is perfect for face and body and the bottle is skinny enough to fit in my bag for reapplication while on the go.
–Cuyana Canvas Pouch: I own several Cuyana travel sets but this canvas pouch is a winner. It’s roomy enough to fit all my mini products and durable enough to withstand constant travel.
HAIR & MAKEUP
- Better Than Sex Mascara Mini: A cult favorite, Better Than Sex mascara lives up to its name for giving my lashes volume and length without being clumpy.
- Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder Mini: This translucent powder is so fine that it sets my makeup without it looking cakey on my skin. I love the medium deep to set my makeup while using the natural finish to set concealer.
- NARS Voyageur Eyeshadow Palette Mini: Vacations are supposed to be fuss-free so why pack your entire makeup collection? I usually bring a small eyeshadow palette I can use for a quick smokey eye or a simple splash of color on my eyes during the day.
- MAC Ruby Woo Mini Lipstick: The iconic red lipstick that elevates any look comes in a mini version to fit perfectly in a clutch.
- Debora Lippmann Gel Lab Pro Travel Set: Hate chipped manicure in the middle of your vacation? This top coat and base coat set gives the look of a gel manicure without the harmful effects of a UV lamp. Plus no one has time to sit in a nail salon while on vacation.
- Urban Decay All Nighter Long lasting setting spray: If you don’t want your makeup sliding off your face while enjoying your vacay, make sure this is in your makeup bag.
- NARS Mini Blush & Bronzer Duo: Another compact favorite from NARS, this blush and bronzer duo gives the cheeks healthy color and a bit of a contour to the face.
- Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer: I’ve been a fan of this makeup primer since 2011 and it’s still part of my makeup routine. Not only does it minimize pores and fine lines, but it also conceals redness and has a bonus broad-spectrum SPF 15 protection.
- Urban Decay Double Down Brow: This brow palette comes in so many shades to match any type of hair color on the brow and is also waterproof, meaning you can swim and sweat without fear of your brows coming off.
- Becca Glow on the Go Highlighter set: Need a headstart in getting that vacation glow? I use the pressed powder highlight on my cheekbones and the tip of my nose for a bit of glow. When I want to go all out, I sweep the spotlight wand along my brow bone, cheekbone and cupid’s bow.
- Urban Decay Naked Petite Heat Eyeshadow Palette: Another one of my favorite eyeshadow palettes. This palette is versatile and can be used for a day or night look. It’s also compact to easily fit in any makeup bag.
- Flat Iron & Curling Iron Ceramic Hair Curler: Why pack all your hair when you can take this dual curling wand and flat iron in one tool with you. It’s compact and fits into my small bags. This curler is perfect for summers when I need to touch up my edges after a blowout.
- Moroccanoil Treatment Mini: I have been a loyal user of the Moroccanoil Treatment oil for 10 years now. It’s a favorite in my haircare arsenal. I use it to seal in moisture for my wash and go styles or as a frizz fighter when I blow out and straighten my hair.
- Living Proof Fullness + Volume mini transformation kit: I can’t rely on hotel shampoos and conditioners since many of them aren’t formulated for my hair type. The $18 set includes shampoo, conditioner, thickening cream and dry volume blast (their version of dry shampoo to plump up my blow-dried hair).
- Drybar Lil’ Lemon Drop Daily Detangler to Go Brush: Petite detangling brush I toss in my beach bag to keep tangles at bay after a day in the water.
- Oribe Superfine Hairspray Mini: Oribe hair spray is definitely a splurge but it works so well to keep my vacation updos in place.