Hello, 2019! I hope you’re kicking off the new year with gusto and pizazz like me. If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I spent NYE in Phoenixville, Pa, outside of Philadelphia for my friend Brianna’s wedding. It was the perfect way to end and start the year, with LOVE. I’ve decided to make the word LOVE my word of the year. We toss that word love every which way but do we really know its definition?
an intense feeling of deep affection.“babies fill parents with feelings of love”
synonyms: deep affection, fondness, tenderness, warmth, intimacy, attachment, endearment;More
a great interest and pleasure in something.“his love for football”
synonyms: liking, weakness, partiality, bent, leaning, proclivity, inclination, disposition; More
|synonyms:||be in love with, be infatuated with, be smitten with, be besotted with, be passionate about; More|
For 2019, I’m choosing to practice love in all aspects of my life with self-love being the most important. Self-Love aka “self-care” is my first priority this year and I’ve mapped out a plan to ensure that I am taking care of and loving myself. I’m a huge advocate of the body positive movement and firmly believe in celebrating all types of bodies. I don’t think anyone should be shamed for being a certain weight. I do believe, however, in being healthy. I truly learned to love my body last year with the help of so many of you on social media. I love my curves but I know I need to drop some pounds in order to feel more comfortable in the skin I’m in. Comfortable as in being able to run faster, improve my cholesterol and blood pressure and alleviate the workload on my joints. I want a better quality of life hence the reason I am choosing to love myself enough to work hard on improving my body.
I broke down my objective of self-love into tangible weekly goals. I’ve chosen 156 as a healthy number to help me achieve my goals. I want to workout 156 times this year, which breaks down to three workouts a week. I am promising to love myself enough to prioritize my health and comfort by hitting doing at least 45 minutes of cardio three days a week. My plan is to workout Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.
I also want to love my skills and talents and be more confident in asking for what I’m worth. As women, we often tend to downplay our skills and don’t speak up when it comes to negotiating rates or salary.
A few other New Year’s intentions include:
- Going to bed on time with my partner. We have such different schedules and I often burn the midnight oil to work on my blog. I need to work on a set schedule so that I have time for him as well.
- Practice Positive Affirmations every day. I am going to start each day with a positive pep talk, whether it’s looking in the mirror and choosing three things I love about myself or speaking into the universe my wishes and goals.
- Stay on top of current events. In the age of Trump, I have tuned out of politics and world events because the environment is so toxic. It is my civic duty to continue to stay informed on current events by ready different newspapers and online outlets so that I can become a better world citizen.
- Less screen time and more time to be present. I can’t use my blog and social media channels as an excuse to stay glued to my phone all day. I am going to put down the phone and have start and stop times throughout the day so that I can actually enjoy my environment. I also need to use said time to sanitize my phone.
- Declutter Our Apartment. Everyone is going crazy over the Marie Kondo special on Netflix. I need to follow suit and declutter the apartment by tossing things I haven’t touched, worn or used in the past 6 months. I tend to hoard items for a rainy day that never comes.
- Volunteer my time. Volunteering was a top priority when I lived in DC and has since fallen all the way down my list since matriculating to New York. I also let my Junior League membership lag. I need to get back to volunteering my time to worthy causes and doing more to better my community.
What are some of your intentions or resolutions for 2019? I would love to know either in the comments or on Instagram. Let’s keep each other accountable and have a happy 2019.