I am a firm believer in spending what you can afford on the best products for your hair, skin and body. Many products of the cheap products out there have some unsavory ingredients and the more I educate myself, the more I see the value in getting my money’s worth. After all, it will cost more in the long run to try to reverse damage to my hair, skin and body from bad products. I fell in love with Matrix products two years ago when they unveiled their new Style Link and Biolage lines.
I have used the Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for curly hair ever since. I just love how soft and manageable it makes my curls feel after rinsing out the product. If you follow me on social media, you’ll see how obsessed I am with my curls. Any way, this summer has been all about protective styling to keep my ends from drying out and to give my hair a break. I have been rocking extensions and braids all summer long.
With a new hairstyle comes new products and of course, I turned to the Matrix Style Link collection for some top performing products to keep my style perfectly coiffed. Before I go on, I would like to mention that I spend over $600 good hair extensions so treating them like my own hair is imperative. Matrix Style Link Mineral product collection are workhorses that stylists use on A-list celebs for red carpet events because of the staying power. It’s also worth nothing that both my boyfriend and I tried the products. He ended up stealing four of the five products for himself.
Matrix Style Link Rough Me Up Salt-infused Spray
I’m a huge fan of this sea salt spray. It gives you that I woke up like this look that is effortless and sexy. You get the surfer girl beach waves without spending a day in the ocean. I spray the Rough Me Up all over my freshly washed, damp hair and scrunch it a bit and let it air dry. The result are beachy waves that last all day. It’s one of my favorite products to enhance my curl pattern or the create waves on straight hair.
I decided to try the textured look stylist Chris Appleton created for actress Olivia Munn for the 2016 ESPYs. I absolutely love Olivia and her quirky sense of humor. She is so relate-able on screen and off. Chris used the Matrix Style Link Minerals product like for Olivia’s look because these products do a great job of creating texture to hair, even when the hair is soft and fine. See below for how the directions. I followed them to a T and got a similar look to Olivia’s.
- First, start with wet hair and then apply the Matrix StyleLink Mineral Rough Me Up Salt Infused Spray throughout her hair and through the roots.
- Next, blow dry hair upside down all the way through the root until completely dry. Focus on the roots of the hair to create all over volume.
- When the hair was completely dry, apply Matrix StyleLink Mineral Airy Builder Mousse throughout the hair to prep it for curling.
- Then, back combed hair at the roots for more texture.
- Section by section, curl the hair. Sprayed each section with Matrix StyleLink Mineral Playback Dry Shampoo to use it as a texturizer.
- Create curl variations of different size waves by using a 2” Curling Iron at the root of the hair, but then switch to a 3” Curling Iron at the end of the hair in order to create a more natural, effortless look.
- To finish off the look, mix a cocktail of the Matrix StyleLink Mineral Playback Dry Shampoo with Matrix StyleLink Mineral Booster, mixing the two together in the palms of the hands. Run hands through the hair to put the final texture touches on the look!
What do you think? Pretty cute no? The entire thing took about 30 minutes to create but this is perfect for a date night or a night out at gallery. My extensions are by Madali Hair, a premium hair extension line that is ethically sourced and maintains its resilience use after use.