- Putting on two different SPFs adds up to higher sun protection. False! This isn’t a arithmetic where 1+1 equals 2. Even if you mixed an SPF of 15 and an SPF of 25 together still equates to SPF 25. If you have sensitive skin, use an SPF of 30 or higher. For day-to-day start with an SPF of 15 and make sure to reapply after sweating. If plan to be in the sun all day, an SPF of 50 or higher is a must. Try the Eucerin Daily Protection Moisturizing Lotion.
- You should wash your hair everyday. False! Natural oils in your hair helps keep your hair healthy, shiny and strong. Excessive washing of your hair with harsh shampoo strips your hair of these oils, which can in turn cause brittle and dryness. Reduce your shampooing to 3 or 4 times a week and try co-washing (washing with conditioner).
- Washing your face with hot water opens up your pores. False! Steam from hot water can help soften the skin to remove hardened dirt and oils, but hot water can strip your skin of its natural oils. Opt for luke-warm water and moisturize after cleansing. Try Eucerin Sensitive Skin Gentle Hydrating Cleanser.
- You don’t need SPF in the winter. False! UV rays are just as harmful during the winter as they are in the summer. The sun’s rays still beam through when it’s cloudy or snowy so to prevent icky sunburn while hitting the slopes, use an SPF of 40 or higher. Don’t forget your ears or lip balm with SPF.
- Eczema is caused by exfoliating and irritating your skin. False! Exfoliating while having an eczema breakout will make it worse. Wait at least a month after eczema symptoms have subsided before exfoliating. Try a skin calming lotion specifically for eczema. Try the new Eucerin Eczema Relief Body Creme.
This post was created in connection with my appointment as an ambassador in the Eucerin Skincare Program. Visit www.facebook.com/EucerinUS to share your story on sensitive skin.