The summers are perfect for weekend getaways. With fantastic weather all over the eastern seaboard and down the Florida keys, living in Manhattan gives me the perfect opportunity to board a train, plane or automobile on a Friday afternoon to many weekend destinations. Of course, this Glamazon knows that there will be many parties to be attended upon arriving at my final destination as well as copious activities to keep me entertained all weekend long. Before bidding bon voyage to Manhattan however, there are a few summer travel essentials I cannot leave home without. Read on for details.
1.Brahmin ‘Anywhere’ Weekend Bag Firecracker One Size ($395): I’m obsessed with Brahmin’s Anywhere Tote bags. I have them in several colors and carry them to work and on short day trips. For over night trips however, I need a bag roomy enough to hold a two outfits and accessories. The Brahmin ‘Anywhere’ Weekend Bag in notice me orange or ‘Firecracker’ is the perfect take along for my weekend away from home. It holds most of my belongings and looks so luxe when traveling. Oh and I don’t have to check it below deck when boarding. Now how’s that for easy travel?
2. TOPSHOP Black Petal Bandeau Bikini ($52): A bathing suit is a must have on my list when traveling during the summer. Not only do I expect to jump in the water at some point to cool down, I am 100% sure my friends will want to hit the beach or pool at some point over the trip. I can’t be the only one in a maxi dress baking in the sun. Plus I love the print on this bikini.
3. Kenneth Jay Lane Multi-Shape Turquoise Dangle Earrings ($90): Turquoise jewelry is a must wear during the summer. The color makes a statement and enhances that tan you’ve been working on all summer. I love these dangling earrings because it can look good with a cocktail dress or an evening gown. These earrings will be the only thing I pack because I can coordinate it with so many colors.
4. Tart Mary belted stretch-jersey dress ($116.27): It is essential for me to travel in comfort. Which is why a maxi dress in a jersey fabric is a can’t live without. The train, bus or plane is usually cold so having something that covers my legs is a must. Plus this dress won’t wrinkle when I get off a four hour train ride and I can just head out for drinks with the girls or a night out on the town by just switching my shoes and adding earrings.
5. Kenneth Jay Lane – Make a Statement Bracelet ($134.99): I am obsessed with chain bracelets and necklaces. In fact they have been on my must have list all year. Kenneth Jay Lane is the king of affordable contemporary jewelry. He is my go to for pieces to make a statement. This chain link bracelet will look good with every outfit in your closet. I just love the mix of gold and silver.
6. Michael Kors Gia Ostrich-Embossed Leather Clutch ($895): Another turquoise accessory I am dying over is this clutch from Michael Kors. It’s an investment piece you will surely be wearing all year round but for summer, I’ll probably carry this every night.
7. Stuart Weitzman Satin Feather Sandal ($255): Who needs any other shoes on your weekend trip when you’ve got feathers and satin to zhush up your evening dress. I am a huge fan of Stuart Weitzman and these heels are one of his best. They complement different skin tones and will look good with almost any color I opt to wear on my trip.
8. Dorothy Perkins Mint bandeau pleat maxi dress ($69): Summer and maxi dresses go together like burger and fries. Which is why I stock up on maxi dresses during the summer. This mint green bandeau pleat maxi is already in my closet. It is very flattering and makes my skin glow even more because of the color contrast. The pleats hide the small pudge I had been harboring all winter long. At just $69, I would be a fool to pass this up for the summer. It’s the perfect after sun outfit for a beach party or outdoor event.
9. Bamford Geranium Weekender Gift Set ($40): I like traveling light for the weekend, which means my shower products have to fit in my bag. I love Bamford’s yummy smelling geranium, lavender and peppermint products. It comes in a set of four: shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion in a beautiful cotton bag to fit neatly into my weekender bag.
10. Proactiv Solution 3-piece trial kit ($19.95): I use Proactiv Solution on the go to unclog my pores after a day of sweating with sunscreen on my face.
11. Dorothy Perkins Yellow flared dress ($59): Nothing says summer like the color yellow. For Sunday brunch with the girls during my weekend getaway, a flattering flared frock is a must. This yellow dress can be dressed up or down with my brown flats or those Stuart Weitzman heels I packed.
12. ASOS Oversized Retro Sunglasses ($19.98): I’d be stupid to not wear sunglasses, which I do year-round. They not only look chic, they also protect my eyes from damaging effects of the sun. This pair from ASOS is perfect for my round face and is cheap enough that I won’t loose sleep over them should I forget it at the hotel or on the beach.
13. TOPSHOP HOUPLA Leather Strap Sandals ($36): I love a good pair of flat sandals in the summer. With a fresh pedicure, these babies complement my maxi dresses. I love wearing them on the train because I can slip them off easily to stretch out my feet.
14. Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Lotion Sunscreen ($9.99): I’ve been using this sunscreen for almost a month now and I can’t see myself switching. Not only does it protect my skin from skin damage, it also provides 12 hours of moisture (meaning no ashy skin for this Glamazon). It also has a swirl of shea butter as well as antioxidants and exotic botanicals to keep my skin soft and smelling yummy. No extra perfumes needed, which means more room in my bag to pack more things.
15. Sue Devitt Color Me Radiant: Anti-Aging Treatment Foundation for Women Worldwide ($39.50): I’ve been using Sue Devitt seaweed foundation and powder for almost 10 years and swear by it. I use her products all year round, which give me dewey skin plus anti-aging benefits as well. The Color Me Radiant set goes with me everywhere I go and is a must have to make me look polished on a night out on the town.
16. Forzieri Black Pashmina Shawl ($350): I don’t like wearing cardigans that much during the summer because no matter how light they claim to be, I always get hot. Instead, I opt for a nice pashmina scarf, big enough to cover my shoulders during a flight and versatile enough to serve as a turban or beach cover up. You don’t have to spend $350 on one either. Pashminas are available on every street corner in Manhattan for $5.
Don’t forget to check out my summer beach bag essentials, as well as that of some of my favorite bloggers on Glam Media: http://bit.ly/OsnerZ
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Hawaiian Tropic® Sun Care via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Hawaiian Tropic. Hawaiian Tropic is a trademark of Tanning Research Laboratories, LLC.