Topical skin care products have been hailed for their potent abilities to prevent, cure and enhance a plethora of skin disorders. From acne to eczema and wrinkles to under eye circles, there is a specific products just for them. For the past few years now however, dermatologists and healthcare professionals are touting the benefits of good nutrition for the skin.
That’s right, eating the right foods can help prevent and alleviate some of the common skin ailments. These foods are so easy to get all year round in your local grocery stores and farmer’s markets. So why eat to stay young? Many of the ingredients used in your favorite skin care products are also found in food. September is National Skin Care Awareness Month, which means it’s time to add some healthier skin saving foods to your diet.
Here are examples of of some skin saving foods you should be incorporating into your diet.
- The vitamin A found in carrots help prevent the overproduction of cells in the skin’s outer layer where dead cells and sebum combine to clog pores. Vitamin A also fights cancer by stopping the production of DNA in cancerous cells.
- Beta-carotene and vitamin C found in sweet potatoes promote cell turnover while protecting the collagen in your skin (collagen keeps your skin plump and wrinkle free).
- Berries like blueberries, strawberries and blackberries are rich in antioxidants, which help clear your skin, firm the skin, reduce the appearance of wrinkles and scars and even repair sun damage.
- Water-rich foods like crisp lettuce, watermelon, grapefruit, broccoli, low-fat milk and yogurt, keep you hydrated (perfect year-round but especially in the summer). Grapefruit, which contains 90% water is low in calories and has skin benefiting Grapefruit is also low in calories and a good source of phytonutrients and vitamin C, vitamin A and Lycopene.
- Avocados contain niacin, an anti-inflammatory that can soothe irritated or red blotchy skin.
These are only a few natural foods you can incorporate into your diet to help give your skincare routine major boost. What are some of your favorite foods that boost your skincare?
One lucky reader will win a Eucerin care package with some of my favorite lotions as well as a $125 gift card to Whole Foods to grab your favorite skin saving foods. Enter below.