My love affair with DKNY started at a young age while living in Ghana. Watching American television in Africa meant watching all the quintessentially New York shows, being exposed to Oprah and learning pop culture icons at the time. I only knew of four labels, DKNY, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger and Kenneth Cole. These brands’ logos were emblazoned on everything from t-shirts and denim to water bottles and pens and I consumed them like water. I remember my mom sending me a super cute DKNY shirt and Ralph Lauren skirt, which I wore on the plane to the United States in 1995. You can say, it was my first introduction to the fashion world. Since then, I have had an extremely passionate love affair with DKNY and Ralph Lauren.
For Spring 2011, I am coveting everything on the DKNY website, and I mean everything. The figure flattering dresses are my go to for looking well put together. Of course, I can never had enough of the DKNY cozy, so I am hoping to see a few sleeveless option once again this Summer. If money were no object right now, I would run to the Madison Avenue DKNY store and snatch up my dream Spring/Summer closet.
- Most women have some form of the little black dress in their closet and shy away from patterns. For Spring, DKNY Tank Dress With Full Skirt And Gala Print Crepe De Chine is the perfect little number for evenings out at a gallery opening, brunch with pals or Sunday church service with the family. This below the knee dress is flattering on most shapes and extremely versatile. Add a pop of color with a solid color cardigan, a lightweight jacket or a pashmina. A long sterling silver necklace and bracelets will complete the look.
- Did someone say boating? Instead of the classic navy and white Breton stripped dresses and tops we’ve become accustomed to in the Spring and Summer months, why not opt for a modern take on the prep look with the DKNY Scoopneck Dress With Solid Cotton Span Top. A solid tank on the top minimizes larger busts and flatters smaller ones while the smaller stripes of the skirt creates the illusion of a smaller lower body. Don’t be afraid of patterns. In true prep style, this dress will be perfect when paired with long Carolee pearls and wedges or espadrilles.
- I rarely wear pants or shorts but can’t get enough of skirts. Though I tend to go for Polo Ralph Lauren denim skirts and breezy swing skirts, the more pleats the better, during the warm weather months, I love wearing bright and bold hues on top. The DKNY Cap Sleeve Blouse With Shoulder Tie is the perfect top for my denim skirts and breezy maxi skirts. The asymmetrical sleeves modernize the top and we love the tie on the left sleeve.
- Looking put together in the office in the warm weather months in a cinch in the DKNY Bonnie Cover Ankle Strap Sandal. An open sandal that shows off a perfect pedicured with a slingback back to let your feet breath in the sweltering heat, these shoes will take you from the office to the cocktail lounge effortlessly.
- If you value comfort but cannot sacrifice style, the DKNY Cecile-Woven Peep Toe Wedge is the perfect alternative to a high heeled shoe for the office or cocktails with the beau, come happy hour.
- Strapless and sleeveless dresses in the Spring/Summer means hitting the gym or dropping to the floor and doing some aggressive push-up and tricep dips for sculpted arms. Showing them off is a cinch in the DKNY Strapless Dress With Ruffle And Side Slit in a vibrant green hue. This frock will be a go-to item this Summer. The dress travels well, can be a perfect cover-up after a relaxing day at the pool or beach. Add a few pieces of jewelry for a night ready look.
- Love the polished look satin and silk shirts give any ensemble? So do I. Love the sweat stains satin and silk shirts give any ensemble in the sweltering heat? Not a chance. Kudos to DKNY for its modern take on the utility shirt. The Satin Utility Shirt with Jersey Back features a jersey back for added stretch and ease and a drastic reduction in back sweat stains.
- Add pops of color to your any ensemble with the DKNY French Grain Leather Shoulder Bag with long straps for hands free texting while on the go.
- Pack your favorite Summer novel, fashion magazines, a bottle of water and some healthy snacks, I love Medifast bars in the DKNY Patent N/S Shopper and head to the nearest park for a little quiet time. The tote bag is elegant in a black patent leather with gold chain straps and a gorgeous scarf, neatly tied in a bow.
- Protect your eyes from harmful UVA/UVB rays when you step out in the sun with these fun and affordable frames. Two flattering frames we’re coveting: The DKNY Plastic Square Frame With Jewel “D” Hinge and the DKNY Plastic Unisex Aviators.
- Of course you must smell good any while running around the city. I chill my bottle of perfume in the fridge for a refreshing spritz anytime during the day. If you don’t have time to stop and smell the roses, smell the DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom fragrance instead.
- It’s time to be a grown-up and wear a watch instead of relying on the handy Blackberry or iPhone to tell the time. For the girl on the go, the DKNY Polished Gold Chronograph Watch in gold is a bold piece that looks good whether at work or play. If you feel more playful, the colorful DKNY Rouge Silicone Stainless Steel Chrono Watch is the perfect timepiece. It also looks great with bathing suits, just don’t forget to take it off if you intent to tan (which we don’t recommend).
- Once again, there is no such this as sacrificing style for comfort. We love the DKNY Virginia-Woven Ankle Strap Sandal and its nod to our home state of Virginia. It’s the perfect sandal for the summer concert series around the country.