I have been on the Medifast program for two weeks now and it’s started to become second nature to me. Getting my primary nutrition from packets of powder is a cinch seeing the pounds melt away. I have 80 lbs to lose and I am well on my way. My goal weight seems so far away but I know it’s possible with hard work and dedication. A lot of readers have asked me what a typical day on the Medifast program is like.
The Medifast 5 & 1 Plan consists of five portion-controlled, nutritionally balanced Medifast Meals plus one Lean & Green Meal, which you prepare yourself or eat at a restaurant, each day. It’s that simple. You eat every two to three hours during the day and consume at least 64 oz of water. The lean and green meal consists of 5 – 7 ounces of lean or meatless protein and 0-2 servings of healthy fat and 3 servings of low-carb/non starchy vegetables. You can also have one snack a day, in addition to your 6 meals.
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 fruit-flavored sugar-free Popsicle®
- 1/2 cup sugar-free gelatin dessert, such as Jello®
- Up to 3 pieces of sugar-free gum or mints
- 2 dill pickle spears
- Medifast Soy Crisps (Apple Cinnamon, Ranch, or White Cheddar flavors – one packet = one snack serving)
- Medifast Crackers (Multi-grain or Garden Vegetable flavors – one packet = one snack serving)
HURDLES TO OVERCOME:
LIMIT COFFEE:Mornings were rough the first few days because on Medifast, creams and sugars are banned, save for using it as your serving of fat. You can only have one serving of coffee a day, which was 4 cups less than what I normally consume. I headed to Whole Foods and bought some decaffeinated tea and guzzle those babies like it’s my job. I still have coffee but have learned to make my own at home using premium coffee that taste delicious without cream or sugar. I bought soy milk for those days where I crave a little bit of the creamy stuff.
- LOSE THE BOOZE: I love a fine bourbon (make mine Blanton’s please) on the rocks or a smooth Vesper Martini (gin and vodka, Kina Lillet instead of vermouth, and a lemon peel), shaken. I had to eliminate alcohol completely from my diet (alcohol should NOT be part of any diet). With my lifestyle, I am always at two to three events each night of the week where cocktails and champagne are served. I had to learn to say no. SOLUTION: Flavored Club soda poured into a champagne glass
- CONDEMN THOSE CONDIMENTS: On Medifast, you can only have three condiment servings each day, so I had to make my salt, Worcestershire, lemons, limes, cheese, hot sauce and other herbs and spices count when I consume them throughout the day. Refer to the Medifast Condiment list for more information. This also means no barbecue ribs or hot wings doused in sauce.
- CURB THE CARBS: The Medifast 5 & 1 Plan is high protein and low carbohydrates. I love rice and pasta. Enough said!
TYPICAL DAY ON MEDIFAST:
Medifast Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (make sure to use the exact amount of water for consistency)
Fresh cup of coffee
Medifast Oatmeal Raisin Crunch Bar
Water and Tea
Medifast Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Tea and Water
French Vanilla Shake (which tastes like a yummy milkshake)
Adirondak Raspberry Lime Seltzer Water (really helps me think I’m drinking something fabulous)
Lean & Green Meal (half a chick breast cooked with asparagus, tomato, balsalmic vinegar, onions, garlic, and fresh mozerella cheese)
Water and Adirondak Raspberry Lime Seltzer Water
Medifast Brownie (baked or microwaved)
Water and tea
WEIGHT LOSS GOALS
10 POUNDS: Reached 4/13/2011
- Week 2 weigh-in: lost 15 lbs (4/17/2011)
- I need to treat myself to something FABULOUS! Clarisonic PLUS Sonic Skin Cleansing System
THOSE LAST FIVE POUDS:
*FTC disclosure: Medifast provides its products for my personal use for free. I am not paid or compensated in any other way for mentioning their products. All the opinions expressed here, positive and negative, are mine. And cannot be bought.