It isn’t everyday that you ran into a woman with beauty, originality, intelligence, grace and style. Everyone has a story in this town and is on a quest to change the world however, there are a few among us who can do so with style and pizazz. Meet Jennie Kim, a DC socialite with an original style that would put Genevieve Jones to shame. During the day she is foreign affairs officer at the State Department, but at night, this Ivy League – Stanford University – educated fashionista makes the eclectic fashions in Vogue and Elle come to life.
You won’t find Jennie in a Lilly Pulitzer dress like every other girl come spring. Jennie knows that being different is not a bad thing; she sets herself apart of the sea of pinks and greens with bold and sophisticated ensembles from designers like Jean Paul Gaultier and L’Wren Scott.
What makes Jennie Kim such a style star is her ability to accessorize. She is famous for hair accessories. Whether it’s a red flower pinned in her side swept locks or a ’20s inspired hat with a blue dress, this fashionista knows how to have fun without ever looking gauche. Jennie Kim makes looking Chic in the City effortless.
Job: Foreign Affairs Officer, U.S. Department of State
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
1. How would you describe your look?
2. What should every woman have in her wardrobe?
A good tailor
3. Do you have a fashion mentor?
My big sister
4. Who are your favorite designers?
Miuccia Prada, L’Wren Scott, Jean Paul Gaultier, Karl Lagerfeld
5. What designers or labels do you actually wear the most?
Moschino, Castle Starr, Paul & Joe, Barbara Bui pumps
6. First designer item ever bought?
Black grecian-style cocktail dress by Celine
7. Where do you shop?
Neiman Marcus, Intermix, Net-a-Porter, Forever 21
8. What are you lusting after right now?
The new MacBook Pro.
9. What’s the one thing you can’t live without?
10. To Latenight or Not to Latenight?
11. In one sentence, what do you actually do all day in your job?
I help develop and implement U.S. foreign policy in Afghanistan.
12. What’s your favorite bar?
Smith Point. Sorry I’m not sorry.
13. What’s in your DVD player right now?
Disc 1 of the John Adams HBO miniseries
14. How much is too much to spend on a pedicure?
I think it depends on how bad your feet are.
15. When’s bedtime?
16. Brunch: pro or con?
Brunch = We be drinking in the morning = Pro.
17. Most expensive thing in your closet?
I have no idea.
18. What do you hate most about living in DC?
When your friends move away
19. Metro, Cab it or Drive?
20. Style icon who represents your style the most?
I wish Sarah Jessica Parker, but it’s probably more like a poor man’s Carrie Bradshaw.
21. Vogue, Elle or Bazaar?
Vogue, hands down.
22. Ravens or Redskins?
23. If you could be anything what would it be?
24. Would you rather be a superhero or a villain?
Superhero. What powers would you have? I’d be like Batman without the family trauma. I’d be a happy Batman.
25. What is the one thing you do often when no one is looking?
I don’t feel like doing this right now, love.