I am moving in a month and just can’t bear to think of all the clothes in my closet. Over the years, I have accumulated so many unique pieces that I can’t seem to part with. A friend of mine recently commented that she has never seen me wear anything twice. That got me thinking; am do I really have that many clothes? Yes I do. I am a dress whore and have the closet to prove it. I have about 120 dresses and counting. I am a girly girl and girly girls wear dresses so I have to stock up.
When I go shopping with friends, it’s always, “Uhmm put that dress down, you have something similar.” I know what works for my body type and I stick to that formula. God blessed me with hips and a butt so there is no way I will be caught dead in a form fitting pencil skirt or a trapeze dress. The funny thing is that I purged my closet three months ago yet I still have way too many clothes. Let’s not get started on shoes. As of April 29, 2008, I have about 188 pairs of shoes. Yes I said 188. I don’t know where they came from but I can tell you that I don’t want to part with any of them. You might say I am a bit of a pack rat.
My mom insists that I need to take a weekend and say goodbye to a lot of my clothes and get back to the basics. So this morning, I am asking this question, “What are the basic pieces needed in a girl’s closet?” Well according to style and fashion guru Tim Gunn, even if you couldn’t afford Kimora Lee’s wardrobe, it is essential that you have the following pieces in your closet:
- Classic Dress Pants
- Basic Black Dress
- Cashmere Sweater
- Classic White Shirt
- Day Dress
- Great Fitting Jeans- one dress up pair and one casual weekend pair
- Sweatsuit Alternative
- Tailored Blazer
- Coat– a trench or coat that layers easily and creates a waistline
- Well-cut Skirt
- Black ,White and Brown Camisoles and/or Tanks
- Short and Long Sleeve Tees in White, Black, and Brown
- Black Turtleneck
- Evening Gown
- A Bra that fits correctly
- Underwear– have enough to cover your wardrobe needs, no panty lines!
- Shoes – Flat, mid-rise heel, stiletto in black, brown, and light color
- Boots- either flat or heeled depending on shoe height preference
- Copper or gold tone shoe- goes great with your spring/summer wardrobe
- Jewelry- gold toned jewelry tends to be the most versatile
- Classic jewelry- a set that is simple and elegant like pearl earrings or diamond studs
- Watch- stick to a classic shape and design so you can wear it with day or evening wear
- Shawl & scarves- useful and an easy way to add color or interest to a muted outfit
- Sunglasses- good for your eyes and a great way to dress round out your look
- Belts- adds a “finished” look to an outfit; look for thin, wide, hi-waist and hip belts
- Purses- a tote, an evening clutch, and standard size purse
Okay I must admit this list is not so basic. If you have the pieces listed, you are set for life. Well sort of. In the next couple of posts, I will outline our plan of action on building a glamour girl’s dream closet. Stay tuned.