We just got back from an amazing Puerto Rico trip that included some fun foodie adventures. Needless to say, we’ve decided to keep things light this week. We kicked off Monday with a meatless roasted beet and sweet potato bowl with an egg on top.
I was craving a healthy chicken dish last night but was too lazy to go all out. I whipped out some pantry staples to make a 30 minute meal that the beau and I both devoured. The balsamic chicken with roasted rosemary potatoes is very easy to make yet impressive on a plate. The flavor combination is unreal.
This one pot meal requires a large cast iron skillet, I used my trusty 12″ Lodge Cast Iron Skillet for this one. I finished the meal off in the oven while I caught up on some trashy television.
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 7 small red potatoes (quartered)
– In a large bowl, combine balsamic, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir ingredients with a whisk to combine. Add chicken thighs and toss to coat, then cover bowl with a plastic wrap and marinade in the fridge for 30minutes to 1 hour.
– In another bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper with 1 chopped sprig of fresh rosemary. Toss quartered potatoes in the mix and set aside.
– Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Heat remaining oil in a large skillet (cast iron preferred) over medium-high heat. Add chicken along with the marinade and sear skin side down for 2 minutes on each side. Add potatoes to the skillet and garnish with the remaining rosemary sprigs.
– Transfer skillet to the preheated oven and for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. If potatoes are not tender when pierced with fork, remove chicken and place onto a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil. Toss potatoes in the balsamic sauce to coat then return them to the oven to roast for 5 more minutes.
– Remove potatoes and serve alongside chicken. Enjoy!