In the movie adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the protagonist Lisbeth Salander is a grungy, socially awkward twenty-three year old whose wardrobe vocabulary consists of green cropped cargo pants, leather jackets, lots of face piercings, utilitarian boots and the mantra of “I could care less about how I look to the outside world” to boot.
The actress who plays this loner, Rooney Mara, morphed into her role, leaving no trace of her girly side, save for a moment in the movie where Salander plays dress-up with a blond wig, some ultra spiked heels, to die for sunnies, bright pastel suits, sexy lace lingerie and (gasp!) rouged lips, for a covert mission. The movie comes out on December 21, but yours truly had the chance of seeing it last night at the AMC Empire in Times Square and I have to tell you, you will kick yourself if you do not see it in the theater. Parts of the movie lag a bit but swings back into full action mode midway.
Rooney Mara has been making the red carpet rounds at various premieres around the globe, along with her costars Danielle Craigs, Joely Richardson, Christopher Plummer and Stellan Skarsgard. Rooney, unlike her character, has been showing off some high fashion looks for these premieres. She wore a black ultra sheer paneled Prabal Gurung dress with vertiginous Christian Louboutin peep-toe heels for the New York premiere. Of course what I loved most about her look with the sleek coif, rouged lips and barely there makeup. We asked celebrity makeup artist Piper Cline of Angelo David Salon (48 East 43 Street, 2nd Floor – Madison & Vanderbilt – New York, NY), to give us the scoop on how to get her look.
- For the face, Piper suggests starting off with clean, dry skin; then apply Smashbox Photo Finish Primer mixed with Smashbox Antishine all over face to keep your foundation in place all night.
- Follow-up with Smashbox Camera Ready Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15 in a color that matches your skin tone all over your face with a stippling brush.
- Don’t forget to cover-up blemishes, dark spots and imperfections with the Smashbox High Definition Liquid Concealer, making sure to use a concealer brush for flawless coverage.
- Prevent your makeup from sliding off your face with Smashbox Photoset Pressed Powder all over face with a plush powder brush.
- Apply Smashbox Blush Rush in flush color on the apples of the cheeks for a sun-kissed and natural look.
- Set your makeup with Smashbox Photoset finishing powder SPF 15 all over face to set make up .
- For the eyes, start by applying Smashbox Eye Shadow in Vanilla color all over the eye lids, followed by Smashbox Limitless Waterproof liquid liner pen in black color on top lash line only. The line should be thinner in the inner corner and gradually thicken as get to the outer corner of the eye
- For va-va-voom lashes, start with a mascara primer like the Smashbox Layer Lash Primer to prep and add volume to lashes, followed by a generous application of the Smashbox Bionic Mascra in black color on top and bottom lashes.
- The lips are really the statement for this red carpet look so it’s important to take your time setting the canvas for the red lipstick. Start with exfoliated lips so that you don’t get any chaps or peeling during the evening. Moisturize with a lip balm then dab concealer on the lips to prevent your color from sliding. Then apply Smashbox Nude Lip pencil to line top and bottom of the lips.
- Apply Smashbox Photofinish Lipstick with Sila-Silk Technology in legendary on top and bottom lips. To ensure staying power, blot with a soft tissue. Reapply the lipstick to your lips. If you want more of a matte look, blot one more time and don’t use lip gloss on top.