I completed Days 2 and 3 of the Master Cleanse and the hardest part has been the Salt Water Flush. After jumping into the Master Cleanse yesterday with guns blazing hot, days 2 and 3 crawled slowly by accompanied by hunger pangs and cravings for grilled chicken sandwiches and french fries. Yes I know, junk food! What can I say, I love to eat. With some encouragement, I followed the same Lemonade drinking schedule as I did on Day 1, along with a gallon of water to quench my thirst. In those two days, I lost 2 pounds each day. Yippeee for me! The first few pounds are water weight so I wasn’t very excited.
I ended each day with my Smooth Moves tea and kick started my cleanse in the morning with the Salt Water Flush. I used warm water with the salt water to ease things along. The taste was still abominable. I drank it like a champ in two chugs. Thanks to the intense chugging training in college for this. Within 45 minutes, I was sprinting for the bathroom to get my move on. A word of caution, make sure you have nowhere to go for about 2 hours after drinking the salt water or else you will poop in your pants (sorry there is no delicate way of saying that).
Here are a few tips to ease the Salt Water Flush along a bit better.
- Use warm filtered water instead of cold water. The cold water intensified the salt for me so I opted for warm, which made it easier to keep down.
- Lay on your right side after drinking the salt water to speed up the process. Your small intestines are on the right side of your body so laying on your side increases the speed at which the salt water will travel through your intestines and your colon.
- Buy Huggies Baby Wipes, your bum will thank you. You will be running to the bathroom multiple times to expel waste. Not even the fluffiest and softest toilet paper will keep your bum from chaffing. Use baby wipes instead to clean and refresh your backside. Best of all it’s soothing and won’t irritate the delicate skin down there.
- Use premium salt instead of shitty sea salt. You are cleansing your body so why use unsavory products while doing so? Opt for Celtic Sea Salt or Pink Himalayan Sea Salt for the cleanse. They are unprocessed and won’t raise your blood pressure. You can find them at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s or specialty food shops. You can also get them on Amazon.
- Drink tons of water. Make sure you rehydrate your body after drinking that giant cup of salt water. This will replenish lost fluids, especially after multiple runs to the bathroom.
Days 2 and 3 were kind of tough because I had so much temptation. I went to my friend Josh’s birthday shindig on Day 3, where everyone was drinking bottles of Veuve Clicquot and eating yummy food. I still resisted thanks to T, who decided to take it easy with his drinking and eating in order for me to stay sane in the presence of everyone else having a great time. Click here to read my Day 1 Master Cleanse journal.