It’s one of the most flattering silhouettes that looks good on almost every figure, so it’s no wonder the fit and flare midi skirt has been trending for the past year. This classic piece is a must have in every woman’s wardrobe. Since the fifties, women have accentuated the smallest part of their waist in these demure skirts and looked simply irresistible doing so.
Thanks to Tibi and Dior, the midi skirt has been all the rage for the past two years and the trend doesn’t seem to be waning any time soon. The style bloggers have latched on to this trend like metal to magnet and have been wearing them non-stop. Some of our favorites, including Blair Eadie of Atlantic Pacific, Anabelle Fleur of Viva Luxury and Hallie Swanson show some of our favorite ways of wearing a midi skirt. Figuring out how to modernize the look is super easy to pull off. Here are a few tips.
- Crop tops are the perfect match for a midi skirt. Brands like ASOS, H&M and Zara are offering cute crop tops in heavier fabrics for fall and winter so you don’t freeze when the weather dips. Take a cue from Jessica Alba and get a crew neck or turtleneck cropped sweater that hits right at the top of the waist band of the skirt. This also shows off the smallest part of your waist.
- Chunky sweaters that go over the skirt look cute but it takes the right body to pull this off. Ditch this if you have bigger arms or have a thicker frame. Avoid anything with the word “chunky” in its name as a midi skirt topper. For the top heavy girls, look for a v-neck top that softly hugs the body.
- Leather jackets and cropped jackets can be layered on top, especially if you opt for a short sleeve top. Take a style cue from Garcelle Beavais and add the same color jacket as your top with a bright skirt.
- Add a belt to the waist of the skirt to cinch it even more. This is a must if you wear a top with a looser fabric.
- A crisp button down shirt like the one worn by Audrey Hepburn in A Roman Holiday looks amazing with a midi skirt. Make sure the shirt is fitted and tucked in. I love onesie shirts, which have the overall tucked in look without pulling all day. You can get them at Victoria’s Secret.
- Heels are a must with this look, especially if worn in the evening. If you are one of those girls that takes a cab everywhere, you could still get away with strappy heels in the fall. A practical solution will be to wear pumps or ankle strap heels. Knee high boots will also look chic with the skirt.
- Midi skirt can be tricky when it comes to finding the perfect winter jacket. A peplum coat like the ones from Ted Baker can be worn with these skirts. Just cinch the waist with a little belt. If you choose a log coat, make sure it hits below the knee or longer.
Here are a few of our favorite skirts for fall.